Updated Pictures of My new Car !!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Elect help.

Hey hammer,

Elkyman here again and it's been awhile since the new info on your digger, very very nice setup and the numbers are looking real good so far. Shouldn't this engine make a few more ponies though for the cubes???? Seems like it would be in the 1000hp+ range real easy on motor alone, but then again, I don't know your cam specs either.....

Got my elky running finally and so far 10:13@ 134mph and the rear suspension is eating up the 9 sec. et as it spins a little off the line, more work is done to the rear susp. and now I have a elect. problem, hence this e-mail to you.

I need some help and info on what you used in your wiring setup and names and part #'s if possible and where you got your spools of wire from, heat shrink and connectors and eyelets and so on, my elky is getting a elect. makeover this winter as I keep running into elec. problems and it is making me sick of this pig, so before I sell it to the scrap yard, I want to run 9's with it first I contacted Wires & Pliers and Michael helped me a bunch so far, but he is expensive but he does some of the best wiring around this state on drag cars, your 2nd to him nice wiring also by you, you did a reat job of it all. So when you get this and read it, can you reply to [email protected] for me? Then we can go from there. Thanks and keep up the great work, ps, don't sell it, make it work for YOU Thanks hammertime.

Elkyman
John
NMCA Series
Old 08-07-2007, 02:54 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

good to see ya still around john..where ya been ?

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "
Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Racin, Racin, workin on car, & racin

Hey Brian,

No excuse dude, I have been working on my hotrod so much and have been having problems like everybody else. I made it on the PINKS show in Detroit, but lost 1st round, went to the runner up spot in some brackets at Norwalk, and saw a deer in headlights when the green came on, I just sat there :evil: and I just didn't have enough to cover a .439 light but it was the best door to door racing I have ever done, I played the catcher and caught them all and well, we know how to win put it that way
Then off to Chicago for the Superbowl of Street car drag racing and I went 3 rounds there, and up in smoke in the 3rd run off the line. Then some testing at Milan Dragway here in the Detroit area and it went 10:07 off the trailer after some rear suspension work, and up in smoke again, then, 10:02 on the third pass so, I am on the edge of 9's if I can just get this elky to hook just a little bit more, and I have two plans to make it happen in Norwalk this weekend at the Inaugural All Chevy drags for 3 days, testing on Fri. and this is MY day, so it should hit 9's maybe, and I have all my paper work filled out and ready for the license, and the doctor info also. But I am going bracket racing there on Sat. & Sund and try to take some cash home so I can make it to Memphis in Oct. for my NMCA series finals, I could get top ten if I win one of these events :lol: More racing to come also, so this is why I have been invisiable for a while.

Did you hear that Michael Browne from Wires & Pliers wiring in Brighton, Mi. was killed on Sat. afternoon going to Milan Dragway???? this really sucks as he was just about the best wiring guy on the Eastern seaboard, he did Billy Gliddens stang, many Pro mod cars, IHRA pro stock cars, and many , many more cars, he loved racing but loved wiring cars more and took a hugh passion to it. Go to www.wiresandpliers.com and check out some of his work if the site is still active. I was just about to get my elky done over the winter and we were just getting things setup to get ready, and I was supposed to go see him this week :x people in the Detroit area really needed this guy, he just knew it all, all of it!!!!!!! I now have to find someone 2nd in command to do my wiring, I am so bummed out, one of the greatest guys you could ever meet, check out also www.NMCADIGITAL.com and read some posts, also, www.yellowbullet.com also, many people loved him and needed his knowledge, and he helped many for free and had no life insurance!!!

Anyway, sorry about that, he will be surely missed by thousands of people. So, my little 505 bbc is trying to hit 9's in a 3360# elky and ballast is next, wish me luck

Elkyman
John
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

Good luck to you John and may you go deep into the 9's and come home safe and the car in one piece as you took it..

godspeed to Micheal..i acutally found this out about an hour before your post...you just never know when its time...

don't be stranger..drop us a quick line and let us know how you turned out at Norwalk...

their are do'ers and there are DO ER'S....and you are a DO'ER FOR SURE.

Brian

Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Breakin out bigtime

Hey Bjuice,

Well, the Norwalk experience was NOT like the normal Experience Norwalk provides, lots of rain and I broke my throttle linkage from the floor to my foot, I twisted the 35 plus year old lever to the max and when going for max et, I really have stong legs from bodybuilding years ago, and it shows still to this day so, after not getting full throttle, rolling thru the beams on the first race in the first round got me no good data to work with, got it welded by a local guy, but it broke again, I told him how to weld it and it held for the 2nd race, but still no full throttle, and I had no dial for the weekend at all to work with, so I thru a 10:50 on the lexan and went for it, I raced a 7.92 Camaro, chassis car of course, and I left wheels up but still not full throttle, went all the way down, looked for him at the 3/4 mark until the finish line and nothing, so I dumped at the line, crossed the line and almost hit the mph line and there he was and he got the win light :? I waited for him at the finish line and when I got the et slip, oooopppsssss 8) I went a 10:38 :shock: funny though, when I went to shake his hand a chat about it, he said, "man I didn't mean to dick you at the line", he doubled bulbed me right away, and it didn't even bother me knowing I had my own problems, so I just beamed in and nailed the throttle and it came up but not quite full again, and I caught a better light than him, .113 to his .234, but he was no where to be found at the finish. Oh'well, that's racing, and I fixed the pedal today to get max throttle and made a throttle stop on the floor as to not brake the linkage again. I also added some weight to the rear of the camino to aid in traction as I seem to spin about 2-4 times before I get anywhere and can still run 10"0's so look out when I get traction, and I have all my NHRA paper ready for the track licensing routine when needed. So, that is almost two weekend in a row that got rained out, and Labor day may provide some cash for me if I can keep the pedal in one piece.!

And as far as the do'er's, hell, why build a drag car and not beat the heck out of it? if you plan and build it right, it will last right? capeesh...
Yeah, big bummer with Michale B. I can't get this guy out of my mind and I am married even :shock: so don't tell my wife ok? I sometimes wonder what plan god has for people, take the good ones and leave the rottin one's to live forever, I just don't get it some days :shock: :shock: he will be missed by many people, godspeed Michael, may we meet in the white strip of heaven some day, nuff said.

So, Norwalk has a $10,000. race this weekend and some of the best racers in the country go to this race, so I am not sure if I want to loose $100. entry in the first round for all three days, but I may do it, need to see what the wife wants to do, she will want to go, but weather will dictate this weekend.

Does hammertime ever read this forum anymore??? I need some wiring done and I need some of the parts he used in his digger for my elky when I re-wire it(with Michale's help) in spirit, and I need to know where he baught his parts and wire from. Cna you let me know if you can get a hold of him and have him send me a mail????? I am at ;
[email protected], or on here from time to time,(when I have time)

What's up with your hot rod life Brian, got any projects going on, or racing anything lately????,, your turn

Later
John
"The Elkyman"
72 Elky
Corvette Yellow
505cuin
goin for 9's
Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 AM
hammertime
RACING JUNKIE

Well this car is offically gone. Its now a new resident to NuMedia Raceway. Pictures soon of my new car :lol:
Old 09-09-2007, 06:29 AM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Knowing what the car wants...

Hey Brian,

Well, I found out what the elky wants per the setup I have in it now, and due to the small tire configuration(29 x 11 x 15) it needs lower rpm's on the launch, all I can say. I was trying to get a big tire launch with a small tire and looked like a fuel car, it even shook and spun the tires :shock: I felt like a fuel driver 8) but stunck for racing the brackets completely.

So, plan is to leave lower until I can get another gearset in the rear end as I am out of tire space and Hoosier does not make a 30 x 11 wide slick, so I will have to tame it down for the remainder of the year. I went to a race at Stanton, Mich. last weekend during the holiday and did lousy, except on the final 1st rnd, I dialed a 10:30 with out having two back to back passes to dial from that were close to et's, and well we were heads up, the stang got out first and I ran him down and he dumped right at the strip and I ran her thru and went a 10:299 on a 10:30 dial, so If I had of dumped also with him, I may have won the round, but good raceing nonetheless. More later after I hit another event. I finally got the gloves, pants and the chassis certified to run 9's, now it just needs to run 9's so I can get the runs completed. Keep your fingers crossed.

Later
Elkyman
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

hey John..i been out of town for a week and moved the week before that..sounds like you got this beast on the fine line...i am sure the 9's is upon you soon...

to answer your question..i have a couple of cars..i have a 63 vette and a 67 camaro bbc511...the vette is in the show off section ..the camaro is race ready and the vette needs a tranny and some minor stuff to be finished...the move set me back......

also i have been very pickey on the tranny..so its looking like trans speacialties glide for $3,300..ouch.....but i gotta have it or stay home..

i have a glide with a 180 straight cut gears in my camaro,,stock case but got a front and mid plate...

anyhow let us know how it turns out..

Brian

Old 09-17-2007, 01:03 PM
elkymann
JUNIOR BUILDER

Default Elkyman hits the 9's!!!

Hey Brian,

Well, after a 10:02 off the trailer on Fri. this past weekend in Kalamazoo, Mi. at US 131/Evan Knoll Motorsports park, in 56 degrees of temp, and 1200ft DA and 48% hum. the elky went 9:95 @ 135, then it went 9:93, and finally on the redlight 1st round a 9:92 at 134 so it is in the 9's, but not legally :shock: but the track owner ok'd that I could run the 9's if I hit the # so it was a good weekend even though I lost first round, and I got to see some old nostalgia funny cars and front engine diggers and boy do I miss them days, and the Chi Town Hustler hit the wall in the left lane & scraped some paint off but a 41 willy's was not so lucky, after the 2-3 gear change(stick car) it got out of control and danced side to side and tagged the wall in the right lane, I was so bummed, it was the owners original car fro way back in the fifty's and he tossed his gloves in form at the car, and not the helmet, but he wil have some work to do later, but a great show, and weekend for my wife & I.

Norwalk again this weekend to try and get my license signed and make the 6 passes required to get the license thru NHRA, then I am legal all the way, and, the elky wants more fuel and I am out of cash to try an 1150 on the engine right now, so, I will read the plugs on the first pass and adj. as needed I guess, but hotter weather this weekend so I will see how it goes. Updates when i get back.

Hope th emove went ok, and $3000. for a trans, double ouch :x :x you guys that gotta go fast, I tell ya , you never quit huh?

This past weekend also caused the elky to come right off the ground in the front and really use them slicks also, and the photo guy got a great shot of it also, so I will see what I can do to add it to my space pics.

Ok, off for now, I need to watch the weather, eat and try to sell my 1050 and buy a 1150 or trade up with some cash, either way, it wants more fuel and air. 8)

Thanks for your reply Brian and I hope you get everything sorted out and get back to the cars stuff. Until then

Elkyman John
Goin 9's
3688lb. 72 Elcamino
505 cuin.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

lol......SWEET...before log your gonna need that 3k tranny.. ... congrats on the 9's...thats a nice number to hit and tougher to get there then most people think. ( in a non-raddicle door car)

later on.

Brian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -